Your Cart is Empty

March 28, 2019

There’s no better vacation than going to the beach with your friends and family. The gentle sea breeze rustling into your ear and the rhythmic ebb and flow of the ocean tides—it’s all just so relaxing.

But did you know that more than 80 percent of our oceans remain undiscovered? Yep. There’s so much more to them than what meets the eye. The secrets of our oceans are vast and buried deep inside them—we’re here to give you a little taste of what you don’t know.

Here are some mindboggling facts about our oceans.

Image showing ocean inspired clothing

1. Oceans are home to most of our world’s living species

All the avian, mammalian, and reptilian species on land comprise a mere 5 to 6 percent of all life on earth. Experts believe nearly 94 percent of all living creatures can be found inside our oceans.

2. Oceans have gold reserves

In this case, all that glitters is in fact gold. Scientists believe there is about 20 million tons of gold present in seawater. However, before you rush to your nearest beach with a diving suit, be warned that this gold is incredibly diluted because its particles exist as mineral content. It’s also very difficult to excavate it.

3. You can drink sea ice

Seawater is too salty to be safely consumed by humans, but you can still drink its frozen version. Basically, the trick is to let the ice age, since its saltiness drains away with time. Then, you can melt it and drink it up. So no, this won’t work with fresh seawater. This method was often used by sailors and explorers who went on voyages up north and ran short of drinking water.

4. Corals can make their own sunscreen

Coral reefs are masters of self-protection. Lots of direct sunlight can harm the algae living inside them. That’s bad, because algae serve as the primary source of food for corals. So to protect the algae from dying, corals create a natural protein that shields the algae from the sun. That’s pretty cool if you ask us.

5. Ocean plants provide most of our oxygen supply

When we think of the oxygen and carbon dioxide content in the air, we often think of the trees in the Amazon. Scientists believe that rainforests provide about 20 percent of all our oxygen—but where does the remaining 80 percent stem from? You guessed it. The ocean is home to numerous tiny plants called phytoplankton. These plants contribute a little over 70 percent of the earth’s oxygen!

With all these benefits to the ocean, it’s imperative that we take steps to protect this vital ecosystem. If you want tosave the ocean, how about you do it in style?Buy ocean-themed shirts andbags from us and contribute 10 percent of your purchases to ocean conservation charities.

Visit The Ocean Vibe’swebsite for more information on how you can help.

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Also in The Ocean Vibe - Blog

Image showing need for ocean themed bedding sets
Did you Know Jellyfish Can Do More Than Drift?

July 19, 2019

At first glance, jellyfish look like empty bags floating through the ocean. Their clear, gelatinous bodies have no heart or brain; to most people, the only thing worth noting about jellyfish is their ability to sting you.

Read More
Image showing buy sea life bedding sets
All You Need To Know About Marine Snow

July 18, 2019

The oceans, in all their glory, are constantly contributing to making our lives better. Express your love for the sea and its creatures by contributing to a cause that donates 10% of its net income to the Ocean Conservancy and Sea Turtles Preservation Association. Shop from an array of ocean themed shirts for kids, casual footwear for ladies, or go a step further and deck out your car with our sea turtle seat covers. Give the ocean the attention it deserves by doing your part!

Read More
Image showing snuggle blanket for adults
Sea Turtles and Plastic: An Unfortunate Affair

July 17, 2019

Do your part as a responsible citizen and help spread the word by supporting our cause! Shop for ocean themed apparel, accessories and home décor at our online store; help us bring light to marine life preservation, oceanic pollution and more. Contact us for more information.

Read More